Thursday, July 9, 2009

First Post! Waaagh!


Waaagh! fellow barbarians! The green tide has been growing quiescently a long time, but now it is time to unleash the accumulated multitude. Envision: the mad tumult of the Christmas-crazed Walmart shoppers this season as they surged forward towards what they hoped were unique savings. Not, incedentely they crushed a hapless employee (very sad). Similarly, I would like us all to marshal similar hybrids of raw power and thrift-mindedness.

The inaugural project that I present here is my kustom ork trukk. The philosophy of my army has always been to try to use 1/2 non-gamesworkshop or forgeworld models in my army. With this in mind you will have plenty of savings that can be spent at your local hobby shop. I shop at the phantom of the attic. I highly recommend it. Anywhoo, the project:

I started with a reasonable pick up truck body that I bought at a salvation army for 2$. I always have doubts about the size being correct. Night Serpent has used 1/35 scale models in his conversions and I will defer to his greater expertise. I would say simply carry a spare ork boy with you when searching for materials, or perpetually if you don't mind the stares.

To this I added an engine from a discarded PT cruiser model that I came across in the 25 cent junk bin of a vintage toy store. After that I added an undercarriage of balsa wood and plastic dowels. Wheels came from a monster truck also from the junk bin. Total costs, not including labor: 3.50$ so far. Then I added some legitimate GW pieces: an anti-tank barricade from the 1996 3rd edition, for a reinforced ram, the window shield from the new release ork trukk, and later the gunner from the same trukk, some ork symbols. Not from GW: the upper torso of an IG-88 figure from the Empire Strikes Back, and more pieces from the PT cruiser to flesh out the ram. The rear was missing something so I put wire screening, to create the illusion of chain-link fencing.

Uh oh! Its getting late. Its time for all nobz to eat a grot and hit the hay for a good 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment